HomeAbout UsWe Love to TravelCasa del MoskeOur WeddingMy Bucket ListBaby SallyPregnancyLet Me Plan Your TripContact Me

Friday, March 4, 2011

On the Loose with Dr. Seuss



This was one of my favorite weeks at school......Read Across America with Dr. Seuss. We studied a different Dr. Seuss book everyday. I'm not gonna post pictures of my kiddos on my blog, but I will tell you some of the activities we did and share some pictures minus kids :)

One day we studied Cat in the Hat.
We word all black and then made hats and bow ties at school. Here I am with my WONDERFUL student teacher, Laurin! I also painted whiskers on my face and all my students. They were soooo cute!
We made Cat in the Hats and wrote rhyming words on the stripes of the hats.
Another day we studied The Foot Book.
The kids traced their feet onto manilla paper and then wrote opposite words or anonyms (smarty pants word for them!) on the feet and illustrated. I taped them on a big foot :)
The kids also wore silly socks to school. They decorated a sock to look like theirs and then we made a graph.
One day we did Horton Hears a Who.
We did the cutest handwriting sheets and attached Hortons on them :)
They turned out SUPER cute!!
If you can't tell that's Horton holding the puff ball thing :)
One day we studied the book, The Sneetches.
I don;t have any pics that I can post from the day. They all had kids in them. When the kids starting coming into the classroom, I gave the first 8 children a star on their belly. Of course they wondered what they were for, but I told them I would tell them later. The other kids wanted to know how come they didn't get stars. I told them not to worry about it. Nothing else what said about it for awhile. Later while doing seat work, I told the kids who had star bellies that they didn't have to color their papers....the other kids were like...what??!!

Then I went and gave all the star bellied kids a sticker and some candy. Now the other kids were MAD. Then I took the star bellied kids pictures and let them go to the bathroom first. Now the other kids were furious. A few of them even got tears in their eyes. I realized it was time for our Sneetch lesson. I read the book to the them and then asked them how they felt when the other kids got stars and special things. They were finally starting to understand. I think this lesson REALLY hit home for them.

On Friday, we did Green Eggs and Ham.
Now I have cooked green eggs and ham before in my classroom and it makes me gag every time. I don't like eggs! I saw the cutest idea where instead of actually making green eggs and ham, you squirt some whipped cream on a plate and scoop a ball of lime sherbet on top. It looks like an egg! The kids loved it...well most of them. We graphed the results.

I also took their picture wearing a green and white striped hat and they glued it in the middle of a red frame that said "their name-I-am". they also glued an egg on them...super cute!!


At the end of the week, we graphed which Dr. Seuss book was our favorite.


**I got a lot of these ideas from other bloggers.....just can't remember where....sorry!!


6 comments:

Melissa said...

These are great activities! I'm gonna pass this post along to one of my friends that teaches Kindergarten!

Cara Carroll said...

Cute, cute! Looks like you guys had fun celebrating Seuss!!

Cara :)
http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com

Kristy said...

Hey Sister, you did a great job!
I am wondering, was this during your Literacy block? Are you all allowed to graph, paint, etc. during this time or do you have to find an alternative time for all the crafty stuff? I like your Horton's...it's my favorite!

Sarah said...

We can do all that if it somehow includes literacy....which mine did :)

Tickled Pink Mandy said...

Great stuff! I think I need to add more stuff next year! I usually just do stuff on his actual birthday but you girls have such wonderful ideas!!

emily said...

This week is one of my favorites! We made the green eggs and ham, and all but one loved it and wanted more (and more)! I like your whip cream and sherbet idea though.

Follow Me



Cruise 2009

Cruise 2009

Greece

Greece

Savannah

Savannah

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico

6-10-06

6-10-06

Thailand

Thailand

Laguna Beach

Laguna Beach

Coronado

Coronado

Hanky-Boobie

Hanky-Boobie

NYC

NYC

California

California

My Hubby

My Hubby

Moske Monkey Business

Ebates

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Pagerank

Page Rank Checker

Pageviews last month

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved