Joe and I like to take historic walking tours of the cities we visit. Not only is it good exercise, but you get a chance to hear the history of all the stuff that you would normally walk right on past. We had a tour scheduled for 9 am and somehow on the walk over, Joe got sucked into a timeshare salesman. I told him it was a timeshare but he didn't listen....MEN!! Later, he finally agreed that it was a timeshare and we had to go and get our $20 deposit back.

We had to meet our tour guide on the steps of the Daughters of the Confederacy. I read about Tommy Dew and his walking tours on good old Tripadvisor.com and once again, it was right! The tour was awesome!

Everywhere people are selling these sweet grass baskets.

Here I am waiting for the tour to start.

Joe!!

They also have tours that you can take in the carriage....we like to walk though :)

This is the actual corner where Charleston started...cool, huh?

We went into a graveyard...we went into A LOT of graveyards over the course of a few days.

Here is our tour guide, Tommy, telling us about the different gravestones.

A really neat church....it looked like a castle!

A neat building...

pretty houses...

Episcopal church...

Beautiful neighborhood....I want to move here!!

Rainbow Row....so pretty!!

Me, Joe and Tommy (our tour guide).

I loved this pink house :)

Awww... Joe found some friends :)

For dinner we had big plans, I mean BIG plans....dinner at the best seafood restaurant in Charleston!!

Hyman's Seafood...so many famous people have eaten there. At your seat there is a sign that tells you who sat in your chair...Joe sat in Oprah's chair, I sat in Sinbad's chair.

There were a lot of people waiting to eat...it's always busy. Luckily we didn't have to wait too long.

We went to the gift shop while we waited...Joe found another fun friend ;)

We shared the shrimp platter. I cannot believe that some people eat this all by themselves. It came with salad, fries, hushpuppies, BBQ shrimp, boiled shrimp, fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, buffalo shrimp, and shrimp over a grit cake with alfredo sauce....we were stuffed!!

Joe was one happy boy :)


Later that evening we went to take the ghost tour...again!! I prayed that we would have a better tour guide tonight...and we did. We walked all over the city in the dark and heard scary stories about some of Charleston's most famous ghosts. The picture below is the restaurant Poogan's Porch (voted #1 on Tripadvisor). We went to dinner there later in the trip. It is haunted by an old lady...

and Poogan the dog....this is where he is buried in the flower bed.

It was really neat to go into some of the graveyards at night...very spooky!!

Here is our guide telling us that in the graveyard behind these gates, there is a "Lady in White" that haunts the graveyard at night.

Here is Joe and his sweaty back walking on the tour.

We had a very tiring day....pretty sure we walked 10 miles...no joke!!
2 comments:
I can't wait to visit. I've wanted to go there for sometime. one day. looks like ya'll had a great time.
oh and we fell for the whole timeshare thing too by the way... :)
Post a Comment